This course is designed to provide an understanding of the safe use of free weights and resistance machines in the gym and to provide knowledge into planning programmes and teaching participants.
Who should go on this course?
This course is intended for anyone wishing to safely follow and exercise programme in a gym using free weights and resistance machines. This course is considered useful to those wishing to progress further up the coaching scheme, for example to the Level 2 Gym Instructors course. This course is also taught within the HMP Service. All candidates should be able to engage in light forms of exercise.
- Using free weights and machine equipment
- Instruction with free weights and machines
- Planning a schedule for free weights and machines
- Teaching sequence for exercises
- Components of fitness
- Training principles
- Principles of strength development
- Health and safety
What should I expect?
Two full days of a mixture of practical and theory work. Due to the nature of the course there will be an element of physical activity involved so please dress appropriately. You will be expected to participate actively throughout the day.
Prior to the course you will receive a course handbook with some pre-course material, please complete this before attending the course.
- Practical assessment: candidates will be asked to demonstrate the safe use of a number of resistance machine and exercises using free weights.
- Theory paper: a 1 hour paper of multiple choice and short answer questions
How to apply
£140 for BWL members, £160 for non-members