Who does the BWL Coaches & Officials Licensing Scheme affect?
• Anyone currently coaching in BWL clubs.
• Club secretaries are responsible for ensuring that all coaches in their club go through the licensing procedure.
• Anyone who wishes to officiate in any capacity at BWL competitions must also complete the licensing procedure (anyone who is a coach and official will have one license to cover both)
Why do we need a coaches and officials licensing scheme?
As the governing body for Olympic Weightlifting & IPC Powerlifting, it is important that BWL is accountable for the actions of its coaches and officials. The coaches and officials licensing scheme is the best way for BWL to regulate who is coaching and officiating at clubs and competitions. It will also give the BWL a better understanding of the qualification level of our coaches and officials and help us target regions where we can offer specific levels of development to coaches and officials.
The DBS (formerly CRB) check and safeguarding of children accreditation will also form a vital component in the licensing of coaches and officials (relative to level see summary). ALL coaches and officials will be required to have a valid DBS check carried out by BWL. All coaches and officials must be current members of BWL for insurance purposes.
What do I need to do to gain my Coaches and Officials License?
• Provide proof of your qualification.
• Provide proof of your current DBS (formerly CRB) check issued within the last two years and carried out by BWL or undertake a BWL DBS (formerly CRB) check.
• Be a current member of BWL either through your club or as an ‘unattached’ member.
• Have signed the new Code of Conduct for Coaches and/or Officials.
• Provide a recent passport photograph of yourself.
Once you have completed all of these steps you will be issued with your ‘Licence to practice’ in the form of an ID style card.
What happens if I don’t complete the Coaches and Officials Licensing Scheme?
‐ Will not be permitted to enter the warm up/weigh-in, field of play or competition areas at BWL competitions.
‐ Will not be eligible for positions with regional, national and international squads.
‐ Will not be permitted to officiate at BWL competitions.
For a copy of the full terms and conditions of the Coaches and Officials licensing scheme please see the links below or contact Sue Ward.
British Weight Lifting Safeguarding Contact - Sue Ward:
Tel: 0113 224 9402