British Weight Lifting is looking for a new Performance Director. Do you have what it takes?
British Weight Lifting (BWL) is the national governing body for weightlifting and IPC powerlifting in Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Following the successful presentation of the Rio business case to UK Sport and subsequent four year funding award, BWL is now seeking to recruit a dynamic and visionary part time Performance Director to lead the performance arm of the governing body for the Rio 2016 cycle and potentially beyond.
The Performance Director will have overall responsibility for the leadership, strategic direction and operational delivery of the BWL Olympic, Paralympic and International programmes for weightlifting and IPC powerlifting.
S/he will lead and manage an integrated high performance programme for both disciplines of the sport that aims to achieve our stated targets in the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games, as well as continue to develop a strong legacy for future senior level success.
Job title: Performance Director
Reports to: CEO
Budget responsibility: World Class Plan (£550,000 per annum)
Job based at: BWL High Performance Centre, Leeds
Salary: up to £60,000 pro rata
Hours: 3-4 days per week
- To provide compelling leadership and strategic direction of the performance programme to achieve continued podium success supported by effective talent pathways.
- Member of the BWL senior management team ensuring that performance objectives are achieved as part of the overall BWL strategy.
- Be the accountable officer for the performance programme with funding partners and other performance agencies (EIS, BOA, Paralympics GB).
- Lead and manage a team of staff, contracted experts and volunteers to deliver the stated performance outcomes.
- Develop and promote a performance culture and vision that is shared and delivered by all staff, coaches and athletes and promotes accountability, pride and respect.
- Liaise with funding agencies and other partners to ensure the maintenance of good relationships.
- Ensure that the athletes and coaches are supported by the best available sports science sports medicine and other support services.
- Ensure that the performance strategy is fully embedded into all relevant areas of the BWL and home country associations via the maintenance of strong working relationships, particularly but not exclusively with regard coaching, talent and competitions.
- Ensure that the BWL Board, via the CEO and Director of High Performance are kept fully updated on all relevant performance matters.
- Establish a detailed strategy to ensure the successful delivery of the BWL Rio World Class Programme’s stated performance outcomes via annual operational plans, including agreeing annual KPIs with UK Sport.
- Be responsible for ensuring that all UK Sport reporting requirements are met (for example Mission Control submissions).
- Report regularly to and be an active member of the BWL Performance Management Group.
- Lead and manage all performance staff.
- Has overall responsibility for the performance budget and work in partnership with relevant personnel to help achieve the financial, budgetary and performance objectives.
- Ensure the integration of all BWL policies into the performance programme including safeguarding, anti-doping, equality, health and safety.
- Work closely with other BWL colleagues to help develop world class coach education and athlete development pathway.
- Ensure that the sport has robust athlete pathways for both weightlifting and IPC powerlifting.
- Ensure that via the coaching/management team all athletes have appropriate performance targets supported by detailed coaching and support plans.
- Ensure that all athlete agreements, policies and procedures and codes of conduct are up to date, appropriate and are implemented and upheld.
- Be responsible for the Athlete Personal Award programme.
- Establish and maintain strong communication channels with all programme athletes and their coaches.
- Ensure that all selection policies and appeals procedures are in place, appropriate and adhered to.
- Be responsible for the implementation and on-going management of the BWL performance coach development programme.
- Ensure high quality leadership and logistical support is provided for all BWL international teams.
Communication and Relationships
- Maintain effective working relationships with all partners and stakeholders within both weightlifting and IPC powerlifting lifting who contribute to the success of the performance programme.
- Maintain effective working relationships with external stakeholders who contribute to the performance programme, including but not exclusively UK Sport, BOA, Paralympics GB, EIS, home country sports institutes and DSOs.
- Work to achieve a sport-specific profile at all levels via media opportunities and attendance at competitions.
A Key personal skills and behaviours:
- Inspirational, proven leader
- Performance focused
- Operates with integrity and respect
- Excellent influencing, persuasion and relationship building ability
- Decisive, approachable, empathetic
- Excellent communication skills - written, verbal and presentation
- A committed team player
B Knowledge and experience:
- Significant leadership experience within a high performing, multi-disciplinary environment
- A comprehensive and recent background of operating within elite sport at the highest level
- Personal experience of the elite competition environment
- Educated to degree level, preferably within a management or sport-related area
- Thorough understanding and appreciation of world class standards in senior high performance sporting environments
- Comprehensive understanding of coaching, sport science and medicine, international competition and talent pathways
- Highly developed managerial and administrative skills
- Demonstrated ability to build excellent working relationships with elite athletes and coaches
- Experience of working at senior management/Board level
- Experience of leading and managing successful high performance programmes at World and Olympic level
- Detailed knowledge of weightlifting or IPC powerlifting
- Solid understanding of the high performance landscape within the UK
- Experience of working with volunteers
C Qualities and skills
- Proven background in developing strategy and subsequent delivery via operational detail
- Excellent influencing and relationship building ability
- Computer literate
- Good spoken and written English
- Experience of budget management
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure
- Prepared to work unsocial hours and to travel extensively within the UK and abroad
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate and resolve disagreements
For informal confidential discussions about the post please contact Sarah Rowell, BWL Director of High Performance – 07712 051002
Interviews will take place in our Leeds Office on 25 March.
British Weight Lifting is committed to the promotion of opportunity in all fields. As an equal opportunities employer, BWL intend that no job applicant or employee shall receive less favourable treatment because of gender, gender re-assignment, marital or family status, age, disability, ethnic origin, creed, sexual orientation, Trade Union membership, or by any other condition or requirement which cannot be shown to be justifiable.